Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Being a Parent is Hard Work!

I'm sure all of you who are parents could have told me that (and probably did!), but one never expects their own child to be challenging. In fact, I'm not sure anyone could have prepared me for how emotionally, mentally, and physically taxing having a baby can be... So, the other day I made a list of some of the positives to remind myself of when Avery won't take a nap, but is a total crankpot, or is up for the fourth time during the night. I thought I'd share them with you, faithful reader.
1. I'm not alone. I have an amazing, loving and involved husband who isn't too afraid of breastmilk poo, who is willing to take a turn at night, and who sends me out of the house while he watches her when I've had a tough day. Avery has two sets of grandparents close by who have yet to turn down a babysitting opportunity. And I have friends who are right there in the baby trenches with me.
2. I don't have to work (although many days I long for it...). Nick works hard to support us and God continues to bless us in unexpected ways.
3. Avery is relatively healthy. The things she suffers from are irritating, but that is all they are: inconvenient and annoying.
4. She is developing normally. She's rolling over, playing with toys and tries so hard to sit and stand!
5. Breastfeeding has not been a problem.
6. Avery smiles, coos, and tries to sing with us. And she has already developed a love of books (Hoorah! No denying she's our kid!)
7. She can go to sleep on her own (staying asleep- another issue- we're being positive here:)
8. She came from Nick & I- our flesh and blood- how amazing is that?
9. Avery loves and needs me.
10. I have a child.

1 comment:

anjuli paschall said...

what a wonderful list. every part of parenting is a gift. some gifts are harder to receive :) seriously, i think that out of your list the greatest gift is that avery is healthy. i can't imagine a baby with health issues. I guess God gives extra strength in those situations. I am praying for you. so glad you made it here today. she is beautiful- and so are you min.